Fruwirth's School-Record Six TD Passes Power Football Past Maine Maritime, 54-38

Fruwirth's School-Record Six TD Passes Power Football Past Maine Maritime, 54-38

CASTINE, Maine - Curry quarterback Kevin Fruwirth was 21 of 33 for 328 yards and a school-record six touchdowns, powering visiting Curry past Maine Maritime, 54-38, in the season finale for both squads. The Colonels closed out the campaign with a 4-5 overall record and a 4-3 mark in New England Football Conference (NEFC) action. The Mariners finished at 1-8 overall and 1-6 in league play.

Maine Maritime opened up a 22-7 lead in the second quarter, before Curry scored five unanswered touchowns to spark the 54-38 win. 

Fruwirth completed passed to five different receivers led by Jordan Shairs' eight grabs for 96 yards. Jake Cawlina caught six passes for 71 yards and Tyran Harrigan had 112 yards on three catches.

Billy Wetherbee finished the day with a game-high 206 yards on 30 carries with a touchdown for the Mariners. Joshua Doolan turned in 126 yards and Michael Fahey added 74 for Maine Maritime.

Maine Maritime scored on the the third play of the game when Doolan raced 61 yards to give the Mariners a 6-0 lead. Curry answered on the ensuing drive by marching 59 yards, in seven plays, and took a 7-6 lead when Fruwirth found Anthony Nastasi on a 10-yard scoring pass.

The Mariners regained the lead when Fahey hit paydirt on a 25-yard run with 6:08 left in the first quarter. Wetherbee punched in the two-point run to put Maine Maritime ahead 14-7.

Fahey's three-yard run early in the second quarter put the Mariners ahead 22-7. The three-play, 39-yard drive, followed a Thomas Kinton fumble recovery for Maine Maritime.

Curry answered with a 5-play, 55-yard, drive that was capped by Fruwirth's 26-yard pass to Shairs. The score put the Colonels within a score, 22-14, with 9:53 left before halftime.

The Mariners tried to answer on the ensuing possession by marching 83 yards to the Curry one. On third-and-goal, Fahey lost control of the ball while trying to dive over the line and the Colonels fell on the ball in the end zone.  One play later, Fruwirth found Harrigan for an 80-yard touchdown to get within one, 22-21, with 5:11 left before halftime.

Curry went into the break ahead, 28-22, after a 12-yard Shairs run with 1:36 left in the second.

Fruwirth found Harrigan for 20 yards and Shairs for 15 on a pair of touchdown passes to open the second half. Following Shairs' grab, the PAT was blocked by Michael Burgess and Hutchinson scooped up the ball and raced 90 yards to make the score 40-24.

Trae Weathers hit paydirt on a 14-yard run and Fruwirth found Phil Bigelow on a three-yard pass to give Curry a 54-24 lead with 9:20 left in the game.

Maine Maritime scored on the ensuing drive when Wetherbee broke loose for a 69-yard scoring run. The Mariners recovered the ensuing onside kick and O'Neal scored on a 12-yard run for the game's final touchdown.

Jeff Claffey paced the Colonels defense with 11 tackles, including two tackles for losses. Kevin Janvier picked up two sacks and Sam Calley registered one. Kyle McKay had two interceptions for Curry.

Frank True paced the Mariners defense with a game-high 12 tackles, including 1.5 for a loss. Jonathan Ware and Jonathan Fader each recorded six tackles for Maine Maritime and Kinton, Chase Hutchinson and Andy Martel each picked off Fruwith.