BEVERLY, Mass. – Junior forward Daquan Sampson (Germantown, Md.) registered his eighth double-double of the season in the Endicott men's basketball team's 97-75 win over visiting Curry College Tuesday night inside MacDonald Gymnasium.
Curry opened the game with a layup by sophomore forward Alex Paul (Brooklyn, N.Y.), but Endicott battled back with an 8-0 run thanks to book-ended three-pointers from Sampson to give Endicott an early 8-2 lead at the 18:18 mark. Curry tied the game at 10-all on senior guard Tim Flanagan's (Providence, R.I. ) trey two minutes later and junior captain Paul Preziosi (Quincy, Mass.) knotted it up again at 20-20 with 12:40 to play in the first half.
The Gulls went on an 11-0 run with seven points from Sampson and led 31-20 with 9:57 on the clock in a high-octane first half in which Sampson tied his season-high with 18 points in the first twenty minutes en route to a 56-41 lead for Endicott at the break.
Endicott continued to pour it on in the second half and maintained a double-digit lead throughout. Curry cut the deficit to 10 on junior forward James Pina's (West Warwick, R.I.) layup with 14:58 remaining in the game. A 7-0 run by the Gulls over the next two minutes extended the lead and put the game out of reach as Endicott led by as much as 29 with 4:02 left to play.
Sampson had a game-high 10 rebounds to go with his team-leading 20 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls placed four student-athletes in double figures (Sampson, Sawyer, Morneweck, Motroni).
- 56 points in the first half was a new season-high for the Gulls.
- 97 points is a new season-high for the Gulls.
- The Gulls tied a season-high with 16 three-pointers.
- Endicott out-rebounded the Colonels, 42-31, and pulled down a season-high 17 offensive boards.
- Sampson recorded a double-double in the matchup with Curry earlier this season as well.
- Sophomore forward Christien Morneweck (Burlington, Mass.) scored a career-high 12 points off the bench.
- Junior guard Drew Sawyer (Norwalk, Conn.) tied his season-high with 14 points.
- Junior guard Max Motroni (West Warwick, R.I.) extended his double-digit scoring streak to 20 games.
- Endicott snapped a three-game losing skid.
FOR THE COLONELS
- Pina led the floor with a game-high 24 points on 10-of-16 from the field and 4-of-6 at the free throw line.
- The Colonels placed two more student-athletes in double figures in addition to Pina, as Flanagan and freshman guard Luke Schreiner (Breezy Point, N.Y.) chipped in 16 points and 11 points, respectively.
- Curry's only lead of the game was the first bucket at the 19:20 mark of the first half.
- The Gulls are now 20-13 all-time against Curry, as the most recent meeting before today was an 81-61 win in Milton, Mass. on Jan. 5, 2016.
- The Gulls have won six straight against the Colonels and are 10-5 at home against Curry.
Both teams are back in action on Saturday, February at 3:00 p.m. as Endicott (11-9, 8-5 CCC) travels to Roger Williams, while Curry (0-20, 0-13 CCC) hosts the University of New England.
(Recap Courtesy of Endicott Sports Information)