NEWPORT, R.I. - The Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team scored all three of its goals in the first period in a 3-1 victory over Curry College in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Thursday night.
Series and Streaks
This was the 33rd meeting between the two teams. The Colonels still own 24-8-1 record all-time however the Seahawks have won the last four meetings.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Salve Regina sophomore Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.)& nbsp;- made 35 saves to pick up his second win of the season.
2 – Curry senior Brett Sinclair (St. Catherines, Ont.) - stopped 41 shots in the loss.
3 – Salve Regina senior Evan Schultz (Durham, N.H.) - had an assist and a goal.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks held the Colonels to 1-9 on the powerplay.
The Seahawks scored three goals, each one a different type of goal, in the first ten minutes of the game. First Jonathan Felteau (Peabody, Mass.) fired in a rebound shorthanded, then Evan Schmidbauer (San Diego, Calif.) punched in a rebound on even strength, before Schultz capped the run with a powerplay goal at 10:23, forcing a timeout from the Colonels.
• The Seahawks have now killed out 21 off 22 penalties to start the year and have scored two shorthanded goals as well.
• The Colonels scored the only goal of the second period when Shane Tracy (Bow, N.H) cashed in on the powerplay. Tyler Vankleef (Dundas, Ont.) made a nice pass across the slot from the left side to the right, setting up Tracy for the one-timer.
• Both teams struggled on the powerplay, going a collective 1-16. There were seven penalties called in the third period, at one point resulting in a stretch of 3-on-3 play.
• The Seahawks held a 44-36 advantage in shots, but were outshot in the second and third periods.
• Neither team was afraid to get in front of shots as the Seahawks blocked 17 shots and the Colonels blocked 16.
• The Colonels pulled Sincalir with 1:29 remaining for the extra skater but could not get a quality look at the net.
Salve Regina (2-1-0) – Saturday, November 5 vs Suffolk, 4 p.m.
Curry (0-2-0) – Saturday, November 5 at Wentworth, 3 p.m.
(Game Recap Courtesy of Salve Regina Sports Information)