Jensen Nets Game-Winner as Men's Lacrosse Defeats Husson, 11-10 in Double Overtime

Jensen Nets Game-Winner as Men's Lacrosse Defeats Husson, 11-10 in Double Overtime

Bangor, Maine – Husson goalkeeper John Hooper III (Wakefiled, RI) played an outstanding game in net making 14 saves, in just over 64 minutes of play. The Eagles fell to Curry College in double overtime on Saturday afternoon in a non-conference game.

The emotional match-up between the two teams didn't lack excitement or heartbreak. Husson jumped out to an early 1-0 goal when Brandon Corbo (Merrimack, NH) scored on a Dillon Shaw (Augusta, ME) pass.  The Colonels answered back with just less than 2 minutes remaining in the first quarter when John Castellano scored unassisted tying it up 1-1.

The Eagles weren't done for the quarter, Shaw stole the ball away and broke away to find the back of the net on an unassisted goal, steering the Eagles 2-1 into the 2nd quarter.

Curry pulled starting goalie Thomas D'Amato heading into the second half and replaced him with first year Timothy McNair.

The 2nd quarter was mostly Husson seeing Mitch Heaps (York, PA) score 3 goals in the quarter, and Chris Pelletier (Rome, ME) nab an unassisted score. Sean Ahern scored the lone goal for the Colonels on an assist from Castellano. Husson went into halftime up 6-2.

Castellano scored in the 3rd on a pass from Ronald Jensen edging it to 6-3. Husson's Shaw scored another unassisted goal, and Dustin Brett (Loudon, NH) added in the scoring finishing the 3rd quarter 8-3 Eagles.

The Colonels had one quarter to catch up and unfortunately for the Eagles they did, Connor McKeon started the scoring in the 4th for Curry making it 8-4, Joseph Natale scored back to back goals, the first unassisted the second from Castellano to make it 8-6.

Pelletier and Chris DelGiudice (Oakland, ME) matched the two goals from Curry making it 10-6, DelGuidice finding the net after a Brett pass. Castellano and Ahern added a another goal each to close the gap to 10-8. Harrison Foster scored with a little under 5 minutes remaining to close the lead to one goal on a Natale pass. Castellano scored on a Ahern pass tying it up with 3:20 remaining in regulation.

After being peppered by shots in the first overtime, the Eagles escaped sending it into second overtime. With 3:40 remaining in 2OT Jensen scored to clinch the victory for the Colonels, on a pass from Matt Atwood.

Heaps lead the Eagles with 3 goals, Pelletier and Shaw both had 2 goals and an assist. Castellano had 4 goals, including the game winner for Curry, and 2 assists.

Husson falls to 2-5 (1-0) on the season, while Curry improves to 7-2 (0-1). The Eagles will next host the University of Southern Maine on Wednesday, April 3rd at 7:00 PM. (Game Recap Courtesy of Husson Sports Information)