NEWPORT, R.I. - The Salve Regina University women's lacrosse team earned a hard-fought 12-9 victory over Curry College in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Gaudet Field on Saturday.
Series and Streaks
This was the 20th meeting between Salve Regina and Curry. The Colonels still own a 13-7 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
1. Salve Regina junior Katie Kline (Brookfield, Conn.) - scored four goals to lead all scorers while grabbing five groundballs and five draws.
2. Curry senior Kelly Parker (Branford, Conn.) - scored three goals to lead the Colonels, while grabbing two groundballs and winning five draws.
3. Salve Regina sophomore Lindsey Smith (North Attleboro, Mass.) - had two assists, two groundballs, two draw control wins, and forced two turnovers.
The Seahawks led 8-1 at halftime, but the Colonels outscored the Seahawks 8-4 in the second half. The Colonels went 5-for-12 in free position shots including a score from Lauren Carroll (Providence, R.I.) who brought the Colonels within two with still 4:18 left to play. The Seahawks won the ensuing draw and tried to play keepaway from the Colonels to kill time off the clock. With under two minutes left the Colonels finally succeeded in knocking the ball free from the Seahawks in the slot. Numerous purple jerseys swarmed to the area, but it was senior captain Courtney Moulton (Merrimack, N.H.) who flew in from behind the net and dug out the ball for the Seahawks allowing them to take more time off the clock. With just 35 seconds left Kiley Anderson (East Greenwich, R.I.) found a seam and buried a shot in front to end the suspense.
• The Seahawks held a 32-26 advantage in shots.
• The Seahawks went 1-for-7 in free position shots.
• The teams were even at 12-12 in draw controls.
• Bridget Newbury (Bridgewater, Mass.) made ten saves for the Seahawks to improve to 8-6 overall in the net.
• Rachel Smith (Arlington, Mass.) stopped 13 of 25 shots on net in the loss for the Colonels.
• For the Seahawks, Kiley Anderson and Kaitlin Gillespie (Haddam, Conn.) both scored hat-tricks.
Salve Regina (8-6, 4-3 CCC) – Tuesday, April 25, at Western New England, 4 p.m.
Curry (7-9, 2-5 CCC) – Tuesday, April 25, vs U. of New England, 4 p.m. (Game Recap Courtesy of Salve Regina Sports Information)